Friday, March 5, 2010

My love is a sweet sweet rocking chair

Browsing in Hollace Cluny is a design enthusiast's dream. They have a fantastic selection of things, but in particular it is a veritable cornucopia of chairs and I will be sharing each one of them. On the upper level I discovered something that made me want to own it very badly. Mostly because it would be so comfortable to rock my daughter in, but also because I love beautiful things. And Thomas Pedersen's Stingray Rocker for Fredericia Furniture is beautiful.


Pedersen is a young Danish architect. He created the original in 2002 as a part of a graduation project. Wanting to break away from the traditional wood furniture, he decided to explore the medium of fibre glass and metal. He was inspired by a shell-a raw outer frame juxtaposed by a smooth interior. After numerous prototypes, the final result is an organic shape resting on a steel frame with no crossing lines. Each is made by hand and a little bit different. In the beginning it was available only in a plastic moulded shell, but today it comes fully or partly upholstered in fabric/leather or in a 3 D veneer as well. Pedersen noted that the stingray shape is more of a fluke, he found the curves more functional for the sitter (room for various positions and to place other objects on it). It is a large piece and definitely commands the space that it is in. 


This chair became available to the Canadian market fairly recently. At Hollace Cluny, it is available to order in all finishes (lead time is about 12 weeks). The floor model is a 3 D veneer in Zebra Wood. It has a leather pillow/lambskin insert for comfort. As you can see, I took full advantage of it. I want, I want, I want! The price is high, but remember-this is a genuine handmade model imported from Denmark.


I think I'm in love. Hollace Cluny is located at 1070 Yonge St, near Rosedale Stn. Go and try out this chair. You'll never look at a rocker the same way again.

2 comments:

  1. that chair is HELLA GOOD. best chair i have ever seen, and you're right, my ass is worth the $6000 :)

    i'll be okay hon, i think i just need a little Shelley time. i'll send you the pics soon, ok? xo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the best chair you have ever seen... Amazing.

    ReplyDelete