Saturday, February 27, 2010

One of these things just doesn't belong...

Sometimes things show up in the most unlikely places. Like a polar bear in the desert, or a pop singer at a blues festival. Something like a fake at Holt Renfrew.




Nestled amongst expensive clothing I spied with my little eye what I thought was a Kartell Louis Ghost.  I made a beeline with my camera. I was surprised to discover that it was the furthest thing from Philipe Stark's original design. Constructed of injected polycarbonate into a single mold, the real thing is seamless, beautiful and durable. Although the shape of this chair is the same, the integrity of the piece is compromised because the knock off has poorly executed joints, with no attempt to disguise them. 




I find it fascinating that a fake would be placed in an environment with such high foot traffic and big ticket prices. Not to be critical, but it does seem out of its element. Needless to say, it wasn't for sale and it still does its fundamental job, as you can see here.




Next time you're chair hunting, keep an eye out-not every piece is what is seems. 

2 comments:

  1. Was it represented as an original? if that is the case, then you should bring this to the attention of management....

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it wasn't. It's just sitting out on display, along with a faux Barcelona. I just found it funny that a high end store would use a fake as opposed to the real McCoy. But we're in a recession, so I guess even big retailers have to cut corners somewhere.

    ReplyDelete